21 August 2010

More Gluten-Free Favorites

I realized it's been over a month since I shared new gluten-free products I've tried and liked. Here are a few with more to follow later this week...

Simply Decadent Cookie Dough Gluten-Free Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert - Did you know Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream was invented by Ben & Jerry's during our/my lifetime? As an ice cream addict, I always crave ice cream with lots of chunks, toppings and additions. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough was never a flavor I particularly lusted after until I lost my ability to consume it. My WFM coworkers and customers alike have been raving about Simply Decadent products so I decided to purchase their gluten free Cookie Dough flavor during my last grocery shopping expedition. I truly love this product. The "ice cream" has a very rich, creamy flavor with a subtle hint of coconut. The cookie dough chunks are large, abundant and taste like regular old cookie dough. This product deserves a gold star. I'm anxious to try their other flavors as well.
I purchased chia seeds to add to my vegan overnight oats as well as baked goods and other meals. Often described as a superfood, chia seeds have "long used by the Aztecs, Mayans, and Incans as a staple food along with corn and beans... Chock full of healthy omega fats, protein, antioxidants, and dietary fiber, the little chia seed goes a long way." Along with flax seed meal, chia seeds are another fabulous food to implement into your daily dietary habits. They are also becoming popular with runners due to the outrageously popular literary adventure Born To Run. Navitas brand chia seeds are raw, gluten-free, kosher, vegan, and 100% organic; I purchased them in the Whole Body department of Whole Foods Market ($6.29 for 8-ounce package).

LaraBar (new flavors) -- I have discussed LaraBars many times on this blog, as I'm a huge fan of their delicious and nutritious bars. Much to my delight, last month they released four new flavors, all of which could easily substitute for dessert. Carrot Cake is my overall favorite new variety -- each bar provides 25% of the Daily Value of vitamin A, is a good source of potassium and is also ½ serving of fruit. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (are you sensing a trend here?) and Chocolate Chip Brownie are not quite as indulgent, but taste fantastic frozen then thawed for 10-15 minutes (an amazing tip from Alysa). Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip is a bit too rich for me, but I find myself keeping one on hand lately.

Ian's Natural Foods Allergen Friendly Chicken Nuggets -- Earlier this summer when visiting my parents in New Hampshire, I bought Ian's chicken nuggets because the grocery store in our rural area didn't carry many frozen, easy gluten free options (I used to be a huge fan of Morningstar Farms veggie burgers and other vegetarian products, but they are all made with wheat protein so they are now off-limits). They have since become a staple of my go-to simple meals. Paired with natural unsweetened applesauce (I despise ketchup so I've always dipped my chicken nuggets in applesauce -- strange, I know), asparagus and Food Should Taste Good tortilla chips, and can create a nutritious meal in about five minutes. Ian's makes a lot of allergen friendly products including fish sticks, breakfast sandwiches, French bread pizzas and French fries, which I may eventually try when seeking an easy frozen meal.

Bionaturae Gluten Free Pasta -- I was quite happy with my Schar brand gluten free pasta until my family purchased two bags of Bionaturae brand for me when on vacation in the Thousand Islands in July. The recipe took over a year to develop (by Italians and an American in 1994) and it shows in the final product, a combination of organic rice flour, organic rice starch, organic potato starch and organic soy flour. It's a bit pricey (over $4 per bag) but being half Italian/Sicilian, I will pay the extra money for a quality, tasty pasta.

1 comment:

  1. Purely Decadent is my favorite! I'm not sure if they are all GF, but I also love the chocolate peanut butter zig zag and cherry nirvana flavors.

    ReplyDelete